Sunday, November 14, 2010

Journal #9

Theme- stay at home fathers
Primary text- modern family
Secondary-glee

Intro-  I will talk about how now a days our society's views have changed. I will talk deeper into how families have have two fathers now or two mothers instead of the standard mother and father. Later I will relate and introduce the texts I chose.
Thesis- Stay at home fathers were a very unusual thing until now things are changing, and the texts modern family and glee introduce how gay couples take a large role in our society.

Modern Family:
The two guys that had the daughter acted as if they were a normal married couple (because they were), but it is very different to see on the television. The fact that the media is making shows about this is almost promoting that it is okay to have a family like this, allowing younger kids who are going to watch it think that it might be a right thing to do. The two guys are the target in this film.

Glee:
 I will talk about how a large majority of the kids in the choir group were gay, and even if they weren't it was very much accepted. The lesbian cheerleaders and the gay guy hitting on the new guy is an example I could use as it being very normal in there high school. I want to mention how the audience might think that it is a normal thing to have gay couples in television shows and might even attract gay viewers, and take viewers away from it. Unlike modern family where there is multiple family situations, some of the glee audience might be turned away since it is greatly focused on the gays.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie!

    So, I like the two texts you chose; however, let's try to work on making your thesis a bit more of an argument. Just saying that things are changing and gay couples are taking more of a part in our society is a bit too surface level. How exactly are the couples being represented? What underlying assumptions about society are the authors exhibiting by writing the characters in this way.

    Also, with Glee, think about the fact that Kurt gets made fun of for being gay, and he's warned not to hit on Sam. However, the cheerleaders being lesbians are actually not questioned at all. Why might this be?

    Also, how does Glee relate to stay at home fathers? You may want to reconsider your thesis.

    Hope this helps!!

    --Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both of your texts,both shows are super good. I think you picked a good topic but I just wanted to point out a few things, you might be able to add this in your essay some way. The gay couple in modern family isn't married and in glee the cheerleaders aren't openly gay and they actually both normally date guys and are known to be sluts. I think you could use the fact no one in the club talks about the cheerleaders but when it comes to Kurts sexuality everyone is very open about it. Also in glee Rachel is adopted and has gay fathers,there is even an episode that she finds her real mom and says how sometimes she needed a mom. I think if you added that it might relate more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much like your view but I wish to point out that some of the people in glee where not openly gay. The only guy who was openly gay got picked on quit a lot. So it would be a bit of a stretch to say that everyone is cool with gay couples. You might also want to make it a little clearer when you write about how the audience might get turned away because it does not really fit in with your thesis at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tiara! I think I need to do a little bit more research on the shows before I start this essay because I never would of know this information because I never watched the show. I only took the information I analyzed from those single clips. I might just changed my whole direction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete