Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Journal #2

I changed my text twice because at first I wanted to write about my face book page because it seemed pretty easy, but then I realized I barely even update my status's enough to analyze them. So, I ended up writing about my college essay. Only because it was SO easy to write about since I tried so unbelievably hard to impress the colleges I was trying to get into...but come on everyone did that. In the story "Pass", Boyer Rickels was trying to get across the idea that through out the main characters life he questioned his sexuality putting up a persona by being some one else in front of his friends and not expressing him self or being proud of it. I would relate my college essay to this story because I felt like while writing my college essay, I not only tried to make my self sound as this "perfect" girl who would be great for there perfect college, but I changed who I really was. I will never forget giving my college essay to my brother and him responding, " this does not sound like you". I relate the two because in both we lost our identity in the process only to impress others. Some differences would be that he chose not to say anything to his friends or be confident of the fact that he was gay and it was more of a life long front that he put up, when mine was basically a really exaggerate piece of paper written so they can know myself in a nutshell. But together, in the end, they both are about acceptance and putting up a persona of someone your not.

1 comment:

  1. charlie,
    i think writing about your college essay seems like a good choice. I also chose to use my college essay because i over exaggerated and tried to make myself look like "the perfect student" to impress colleges. I really liked how you compared your essay to the story "pass" i felt like it made a good connection to the point that you were trying to get across. I also liked how you incorporated the quote from your brother, and how he said "this doesn't sound like you"
    good job!
    i have a feeling our essays are going to be similar :)

    ReplyDelete