Sunday, August 29, 2010

Journal #1 countinued

After I wrote my first entry, I went to bed and laid there rethinking the memory that I just wrote about. I realized that I had left out so many big details that outlined the whole story. Its funny to me because after  thinking about it so much, I went and looked at all the hundreds of pictures that I had took on that trip. I really DID have friends and people to fill my time with, but i think it was just the fact that I was so far away from home that it felt like I was completely alone. I made it sound as if I had no one, but I clearly I did because all my pictures were filled with many of the friends I met along the way. Also another big part I left out was when I was standing outside of the terminal at LAX airport balling my eyes out hugging my parents goodbye knowing that I had this journey to face on my own. This was so important because I didn't want to let go of them and almost changed my mind about the whole trip! Looking back at all of this, I am SO unbelievably happy that I ended up making the decision to go on this trip because I went from super insecure to a very strong person. I noticed a HUGE change in myself. Now, when I'm either with my family or taking a trip by myself, I feel confident in what I am doing and I even turn into the role of a leader instead of the daughter that tags along in the back.

1 comment:

  1. That is really awesome that you were able to go to England by yourself. The only place I've been outside of the US is Rocky Point...

    Anyway, I think you may have left the whole portion of having friends out because it makes the idea of isolation that much bigger. Of course, when I read your initial entry, it was hard to believe you didn't meet anyone there, so I assumed you had just left it out, and you certainly did. I think if you were to go back and edit your first entry, you could mention the independence first, and then say you met friends along the way. That is what the real world is about--living on your own, making your own decisions, and then developing a network of peers to fall back on.

    Just curious, what would you say the highlight of the trip was?

    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete